Sunday, July 31, 2011

I Dream of a Land of Violet Mystery

Decided to do something different for this week's Summer of Color "Purple" challenge, I created an altered altoids mint tin. I love having a prompt to start a new project, so purple it was! Ive made repurposed tins before but always covered them with paper, so today I used acrylic paint, glitter and Ranger Alcohol  Inks. They were heated with a heat gun till it all bubbled and collapsed. This method was shared by Val at Bastelmania-craftattack, who makes the most amazing tags with her bubbling technique. I am also submiting it to Grungy Monday 17 hosted by Linda  at Studio L3 which uses Tim Holtz's techniques. This week it was Get Ready to Rock using Ranger Rock Candy Products.

First the mint tin was distressed, painted and the bubbled with all storts of purplie stuff. I took a paper flower, watercolored it, edged it with yellow Stickles and added glitter to the center. The butterfly and flower image is from Dezinaworld and after I added Rock Candy Stickles, the butterfly almost looks 3D. Some purple netting, green organza for leaves and my sentiment came next. The sentiment  can be read around the box and you can start on any side. It  totally says "I dream of violet mystery, so far away, the giddy butterflies, one hot summer night."

Hope there will be some mystery in your week.
sincerely, gerri
"I dream of a land of violet mystery"


"Violet Details"

23 comments:

  1. Great altered tin, beautifully embellished. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I love that! especially all of the sparkels and the watercolor flower

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tin looks really great now. As I read it the first time I thought it said 'I dream of a life of violent mystery*.... but am happy I have now seen it properly! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful altered tin, the colors are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe the colors of summer! Lovely
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Gerri. I think you might have out done yourself. I'm lovin' it! xXDonna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!!!! Thanks for explaining all you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The word that comes to mind Gerri is ..... scrummy! The colour the flower a thing of beauty this is.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh, yeah. SO So cool! I love everything about this - it is bright and colorful (love the yellow) and I'm sure it sparkles up a storm. So Fab! Please feel free to add this to the Flickr pool if you'd like - it would be a great addition, xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Gerri, how beautiful and creative!!!
    CONGRATS on your new Flying Unicorn CT position. She chose the best of the best and I can't wait to see what you have in store. YEA Gerri!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a breathtaking piece, love the glittering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is beautiful!!! you may have just changed my opinion of the color purple!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great altered box, Gerri... it should hold some treasures for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh...this is so pretty...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tin is absolutely gorgeous.. I have saved a couple of little tins and I keep say I am going to play around with them.. But I still haven't.. I know I could never make it look this pretty..

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a beautiful piece you have created, Gerri! Luv the combo of purple & yellow/orange butterfly, with lots of glitter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the shades of violet you used and the placement of the embellishments. This is so pretty, Gerri!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...